Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Fake Gravestone ?
    I need to make a fake gravestone, any ideas? It could be a vertical gravestone, or just a simple little square flat on the ground, whatever works. Writing a short horror where I need a fake grave with gravestone, including a fake name and born-died years painted or somehow looking like it was engraved on it. I think the real thing would get too expensive, although I do have a friend whose father makes real tombstones so that is a possibility. Alternative I guess I could film with a POV from the backside of a real tombstone so no real people names are seen. Which would be better, a fake tombstone or a real one seen from the back?

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details
    I just saw good ones at the local arts & crafts store (Michael's). This is the time of year for it.

4. Collapse Details
    John posted the site BJ Winslow which is a good one. You can rent what you need and they ship them. Since they are made of styrofoam they aren't very heavy. OR you could visit their site, look at the tombstones and make your own from styrofoam...again, as John suggested.
    Last edited by Blaine; 08-15-2008 at 07:34 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    They used Styrofoam gravestones in Batman Returns, they looked great until Danny DeVito bumped some

6. Collapse Details
    I was gonna come in here and pimp Dapper Cadaver. BJ's a friend of mine from school. He does really great work, and has a whole stockpile of premade headstones you can buy or rent. I think I posted my "MTV-style" profile video that I shot about BJ here a couple years ago...

7. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    We needed a custom gravestone for a scene in 'Afterlife'. We contacted a local monument company that does gravestones. They had one that they'd made a typo on. They were going to break it up and make cornerstones out of it. Instead, they engraved what we wanted on the opposite side. Then they brought it out to the cemetery and set it up, then came back the next day and took it away. And all they wanted in return was a mention in the credits.

Contact your local monument companies. You might get lucky too!

8. Collapse Details
    Or, as John mentioned, you can do it with Styrofoam and some granite spray paint. Lots of craft sites that show you how to do it nice and easy. Then you'll have a prop for your yard at Halloween for next to nothing..

9. Collapse Details
    Thank you to all of you, great suggestions, ideas, and links. This is doable.

10. Collapse Details
    nice, thank you. I like the dapper link, i am thinking i will buy one of the cool looking tombstones, then create the "engraving" myself using fake granite paint from Michael's Craft store to paint some wood letters/numbers that i then glue to the fake tombstone. anything sound wrong with this plan?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Hudson View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast